8th Grade Algebra 1 Honors
We are excited to once again offer Algebra 1 Honors for 8th graders for the 22-23 school year. This honors level math course will challenge your student while allowing him/her to earn high school credit!
Taught by PCHS Math Faculty, this challenging curriculum will further develop students’ critical thinking skills. Students will complete this class with an in-depth master of Algebra 1 and develop an understanding of Algebra 2, thus preparing them for higher level math classes at the start of their high school career.
If the student enrolls at PCHS for high school after 8th grade,
- This course will count towards the PCHS graduation requirements and will be factored into the student’s high school GPA.
- Student will seamlessly transition to Geometry or Geometry Honors freshmen year.
- Student will be on track for dual credit and AP math courses junior and senior year.
If student attends another high school after 8th grade, the transcript will be sent to that high school when receive a signed release form.
- A proficiency exam is required to determine readiness for Algebra 1 Honors
- The class runs Monday-Friday, in person, from 7:05 – 7:50 AM.
- $500 class fee includes textbook and Math XL license. Student is responsible to bring required calculator.
- Transportation to the 8th grade school after class may be available at no additional cost.
To be accepted into the course, students are required to pass our proficiency exam. The proficiency exam will be given on two dates. Please select one and register for the proficiency exam no later than Wednesday, April 6.
- Saturday April 9 | 10:00 AM
- Tuesday April 12 | 4:00 PM
Additional information for proficiency exam:
- There is no cost to take the exam
- Registration is required by April 6.
- The exam consists of 45 questions
- Students have 1 hour to complete the exam
- Calculators are NOT allowed
- Students should bring two #2 pencils
- Enter at Door #1 on the north side of the building, facing Route 30
- There is no formal study guide. Students should be skilled in: decimals, percentages, and operations with fractions.
Registering for the Class
Registration will open on Monday April 25, 2022.
At the time of registration, a $50 deposit is due. The remaining $450 may be paid in full or split into two payments made at the beginning of each semester. Complete one of the two forms below and return to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transportation is currently available to bring students to school after Algebra class for the following grade schools: St. Jude New Lenox, St. Mary Mokena & Noonan Academy. Please complete this form and email it to Melissa Sallade: Parent consent for transportation to grade school.
Students are required to have a Texas Instruments calculator, specifically the TI-Nspire CX II. Please do not purchase the TI-Nspire CAS model.
Summer Prep Book
We recommend that students who are accepted into the class use the summer months to review important concepts and skills. For your convenience, we have provided a short preparation booklet here: Summer Preparation Booklet.
If you have any questions about the preparation book, please email Mrs. Gregory.